Detlef Gründel, the chairman of our association, & his son Florian prepare a trip to Nepal for 2018 as well. Apart from culture & easy hiking-tours the celebration of the 10-years jubilee of our school will be the highlight. More information concerning the tour can be found here.
Already a tradition: BOB, a rock- & popband well known in the region, performs a concert at Bürgerhaus in Hohengehren - thus easing the start in the winter-season. Once again on November, 25th 2017. It was also the 1st public concert of BOB with a new guitarist & singer after the surprising decease of a member of the band in summer 2017.
Once again the numerous visitars could look forward to a spirited & well played concert with classical songs from the past decades. & they were not disappointed. 150 attendants enjoyed thrilling hours listening & dancing to the music. & the band itself? They were more than content as well, see the report ot the Esslinger Zeitung (in German only).
A prosperous evening for our association as well: sale of food & beverages & a generous donation of BOB's fee provided us a net income of 945€.
Thank you very much BOB, the organization team & - last, but not least - the crowd of visitors - we are already looking forward to 2018. See you again on December, 15th 2018.
We want to inform you about three important events taking place in next few months:
- 11/25/2017 - "BOB (Beatles Of Baltemore) rocks for Nepal", an event which took place already several times - this time in Bürgerhaus Hohengehren, 8 p.m.. The net income will be for our school.
- 09/23/17 Heidrun Speck and Jeschi Paul give a concert. The charity event in favor of our school will take place in Begegnungskirche, Esslingen, Urbanstrasse 45, begin: 8 p.m.. Tickets in advance cost 14€ (to be bought at Esslinger Zeitung), in the evening 16€.
"Ich weiss nicht, wie mir ist..." ( "I do not know how I should feel...") is the motto of the evening. The songs tell us stories about naughty women, girls in blue, wild women and sexy sirens, written mainly in the roaring twenties of last century by famous German authors like Friedrich Holländer and Kurt Tucholsky and some are from the fifties by Hugo Wiener. Have you seduced by female feelings and male nuts - an evening with a strong voice and masterly piano playing!
- On 07/02/17 Urmila Chaudary from Nepal is honored with Theodor-Häcker-Preis awarded by the town of Esslingen for political courage and sincerness. The honour ceremony will take place at 11 a.m. in Neckar Forum. She will be presented for her engagement in liberating enslaved girls - the Kamilaris - and the struggle for their rights and their education. Thus she became a bearer of hope for these poor women. Our association will be present on the ceremony providing information about our work. The director of a film about Urmila ("Urmila - Der Weg in die Freiheit") will participate as well.
Read more about the film.
Pupils and principals of our Mahadevi-school give thanks to everybody who supports them. So does the board of our association. Stay in contact with us and keep on supporting us.
- Theodor-Haecker-Award 2017 allocated by the town of Esslingen to Urmila Chadhary, the 'star' of the movie: she will personally accept the price on July, 2nd 2017. Time and place will be announced when fixed. In January 2017 this (German) newspaper article was issued announcing the price-giving to the public.
- 20 pupils of M-WEC invited to attend screening in Kathmandu: in March 2017 the "5th Nepal Human Rights International Film Festival" will take place. Movie director Susan Gluth presents her "Urmila"-movie and has invited the M-WEC-women. Thank you!
- Retrospection to the 02/19/17-screening: Almost booked out cinema in Manufaktur. 90 persons saw the film - many more as expected. Before screening took place we introduced our association and the Mahadevi Women's Education Centre we support to the audience. Free entrance, but we asked for a donation: 720 €(!); subtracting the fee for the movie we achieved net avails of 600 €. Thank you very much to all contributors. Half the money goes to Nepal Youth Foundation Germany, the other 50% go to M-WEC in Patan. "Nepal Youth Foundation" aids projects, which help (former) Kamalari-girls on their way to freedom & their life after liberation - Urmila Chaudhary is one of them. Susan Gluth was very impressed getting information about our engagement and wants to collaborate with Mahadevi. We plan a public meeting together with her in 2018.